The development of Android 8.0 Oreo is picking its pace. And we are getting to see a number of new tweaks and customization options daily. Today, we came across a decent utility app for Android Oreo users, that will allow you to adjust brightness using Fingerprint Gestures on your device.
Fingerprint gestures were introduced as a part of Google Pixel 2016 devices and later arrived to the Nexus series as well. But the customization options and actions that the inbuilt gestures can perform are literally very limited. However, using this guide, you will be easily able to use these fingerprint gestures to adjust brightness on your device.
Table Of Contents
DigiLux – Adjust Brightness using Fingerprint Gestures
In order to adjust brightness using finger gestures, we will be making use an app that fits in perfectly for performing the job. There are several fingerprint gesture apps like ‘Finger Gestures for 8.0’, that allow you to customize the gesture actions and set them as you want. Today, we will be talking about a similar app, that rather focuses on performing a single job that make things a lot easier for us. The app is called “DigiLux” and is developed and published on the Play Store by Tunji Dahunsi.
The amount of time we spend staring at our phone’s screen has increased drastically. While staring for long is an issue in itself, there is another downside that can cause a certain sense of uneasiness – viewing your phone’s bright screen in really dark surroundings. It feels horrible, and we can do in such a situation is find the brightness controls in the settings or notification bar.
Not any more, you wouldn’t have to go through all those options and settings if your device is running on Android Oreo. You can simply download, install, and setup the DigiLux app on your phone to adjust brightness by simply swiping on the fingerprint sensor.
Now before we get to the installation and setup part, let us take a peek at various features which this app offers.
- Fingerprint gestures to control elements relating to your screens brightness.
- The ability to map gestures to actions, keep the gestures you already use and love!
- Customize how much each swipe increases or reduces the brightness.
- Customizable slider position, color, and background.
- Ability to hide or show the brightness slider.
Now let us show you how to adjust brightness using fingerprint gestures on Android Oreo.
Step 1: Install ‘DigiLux’ Android App
Start by downloading and installing the app on your phone. You can get it from the Google Play Store (Link). Since the app is targeting API 26, it means that it could not be installed and used on any lower Android version.
If you wish to manually install DigiLux using the APK, then grab the latest version from APKMirror.
Step 2: Grant Required Permissions
Once DigiLux is installed on your phone, go to the app drawer and launch the app. As soon as you do so, the app will prompt you for permissions, so select ‘YES’. You will be asked to ‘Allow modify system settings’ permissions. So, turn ON the toggle.
Now, return back to the app. This time, you shall be prompted to grant Accessibility permissions to the app. This is very important because the app makes use of the Accessibility Service to detect gestures performed on the sensor. So, select ‘YES’ again.
The accessibility settings will open. Select ‘DigiLux’ under the Downloaded services section. Then turn ON the accessibility toggle and tap on “OK” to confirm.
Step 3: Set Up Fingerprint Gestures to Adjust Brightness
Now that everything is set, you can easily set the gesture actions.
- Open the ‘DigiLux’ app from the app drawer.
- Scroll down through the options until you see the gesture options.
- You shall see 4 options – Swipe Up, Swipe Down, Swipe Left and Swipe Right. So you can choose 4 different actions for every gesture according to your choice.
- To do so, press on any of the gestures. For demonstrating, we will be selecting ‘Swipe Up’.
- The list of available actions will be shown on the screen. These include:
- Increase brightness
- Reduce brightness
- Maximum brightness
- Minimum brightness
- Notification shade up
- Notification shade down
- We will be selecting the ‘Maximum brightness’ action for this instance. You can choose any action according to your choice.
- Now go ahead and set custom brightness actions for all the available gestures.
Now go ahead and try to swipe your finger across the fingerprint sensor. You shall see an instant change in brightness level depending on the action you chose.
Step 4: Customize The Brightness Slider
While using the fingerprint gestures to adjust brightness, you should be able to see a brightness slider on-screen. The app also allows you to customize this slider and its settings are available on the very-top of the app interface.
The following customization options are available:
- Slider Step: Adjusts the percentage of brightness increased/reduced per swipe.
- Slider Position: Move the slider position up or down. Default is middle (50%).
- Background color: Change the slider background color. Enter HEX code or select from the palette.
- Slider color: Change the slider color. Again, enter HEX code or select from the color palette.
By adjusting the above settings, you will be able to customize the brightness slider according to your choice.
There you go! Enjoy adjusting brightness using fingerprint gestures on Android Oreo. We hope you liked the app and the features that it offers. If you have any questions regarding the setup, you can reach to us through our social channels.